2021 Tour de hyalite – Saturday, august 28
The famed hardperson running/climbing duathlon returns on Saturday, August 28th. With the exception of of 2020, this one-of-a-kind sufferfest has tortured local mountain sports enthusiasts since 1988 (or maybe it was 1989). The event combines a run (it’s okay to walk) to the top of Hyalite Peak from Grotto Falls TH with toprope climbing at Practice Rock. The climbing score is subtracted from the running time to determine the winner.
Partners are welcome, but the true spirit is to run and climb. Don’t be afraid if you haven’t trained. Since we just announced the event, no one has! You can even walk the whole way!
We’ll have a community potluck BBQ (location TBD) at 6 p.m. We’re limited to 50 for the event, so please register through the paypal link below!
A big THANKS goes out to the American Alpine Club Montana Chapter for their generous event support.
• Run starts at 8 a.m. from Grotto Falls TH (registration/check-in begins at 7:15 a.m.)
• Runners must go to the top of Hyalite Peak or it doesn’t count
• Climbing starts at 11 a.m. at Practice Rock
• Climbing ends at 5 p.m.
• Climbing score subtracts from running time to determine winner
• Partnering up is permitted but not as cool
• Potluck BBQ at 6 p.m. – location TBD
• Don’t take this too seriously
• Please carpool
• There might be some prizes
• Proceeds support climbing access in SW MT
• $25 for SMCC members and $30 for non-member, so become a member
• Event trucker caps for $5 (we only ordered 25)
Click on the button below to pre-pay. Payment on race day will only be accepted by cash or check. Non-members may register for SMCC annual membership here: https://www.joinit.org/o/smcc
All participants are required to complete a waiver. Save some time race day and complete the waiver here (must print out). Minors (under 18) may use this waiver.
Click below to pay if you’re an SMCC annual member ($25):
Click below to pay if you’re not an SMCC annual member ($30):
Summer 2021 Stewardship Events
Help us maintain SWMT area crags and approach trails this summer! SMCC’s provides tools. Please bring your own work gloves, snacks, water, etc.
WEDNESDAY EVENING Sessions – the last Wednesday of each month May through August
- May 26 – Bozeman Pass trail maintenance – Recess Wall rehab. Meet at the Pass parking area at 5:30, we will work until dusk.
- June 30 – Gallatin Canyon East Side – Blackline-Waltz trail work. Meet at the Gallatin Tower parking area at 5:30 pm, we will work until dusk.
- July 28 – The Cube trail maintenance. Meet at the Gallatin Tower parking area at 5:30 pm, we will work until dusk.
- August 25 – Hyalite Canyon trail maintenance (including Practice, Croc, and Swamp Rock). Meet at the Practice Rock parking area at 5:30 pm, we will work until dusk.
UPPER HYALITE ICE VENUE EVENING Sessions
July 13 and 17 at the G1 crag. Efforts will focus on base area rehab and approach trail maintenance. Meet in the Grotto Falls parking area at 5:30 pm.
Event are also being planned for the Natural Bridge, Mill Creek, and Allenspur Crag/Carter’s Bridge parking area, dates and times TBD.